The month of April is taken into account to be Parkinson’s Awareness Month, and April 11 is the day when annually, communities from around the globe come collectively to boost consciousness concerning the neurodegenerative dysfunction.
According to Dr VP Singh, Chairman of the Institute of Neurosciences, Medanta, it’s the degeneration of dopamine producing cells within the mind that’s liable for the dysfunction. “Dopamine is the chemical that carries messages around the brain, and when its levels decrease, or not enough of it reaches the brain, patients develop features suggestive of Parkinson’s disease (PD). Initial features are hand tremors, slowness of activity and stiffness of body parts,” explains Dr Singh.
There are approach too many myths and misconceptions related to the illness, and Dr Singh debunks a few of them.
Myth 1: Parkinson’s is just a motion associated situation
Fact: In addition to motor signs, it additionally has non-motor signs like melancholy, REM sleep behaviour dysfunction (RBD), constipation, urinary incontinence, hypotension, and so forth.
Myth 2: The most dominant symptom of Parkinson’s illness is tremors
Fact: Although tremors are one of many many signs, every affected individual shows distinctive variations of the signs. Patients might develop few non-motor signs a few years earlier than creating the classical motor signs — tremor, slowness of actions or stiffness. These non-motor signs could also be constipation, melancholy, lack of odor sensation and REM sleep behaviour dysfunction (RBD).
Moreover, tremors will also be seen in different circumstances like atypical Parkinsonism (problems which mimic like Parkinson’s illness), important tremor, drug induced tremor, alcohol associated tremor, and so forth.
Myth 3: Parkinson’s causes uncontrolled, spontaneous actions
Fact: Uncontrolled actions (referred to as dyskinesias) develops in PD in superior stage as a consequence of a side-effect of levodopa. These actions will be very effectively managed by dose modification or deep mind stimulation surgical procedure (DBS).
Myth 4: Parkinson’s illness can solely be handled by drugs
Fact: Lifestyle modifications are suggested in sufferers with PD. Eating proper and wholesome meals, common train, yoga and meditation are a part of administration of PD. All this stuff will assist keep a way of independence and a greater high quality of life for an extended time period. In addition to medical remedy, there’s a surgical remedy out there for superior Parkinson’s illness, which is deep mind stimulation (DBS).
Myth 5: Parkinson’s is curable
Fact: Parkinson’s has no treatment until now. But, drugs, surgical procedure (DBS), physiotherapy and life-style modification assist sufferers to regulate signs, in addition to have high quality of life for an extended time period.
Myth 6: Parkinson’s is discovered solely in older folks
Fact: This is just not completely true. Although majority of sufferers are over the age of 60 years, early onset and teenage onset are being detected in lots of instances. In India about 25 per cent of sufferers develop signs suggestive of PD earlier than they flip 40.
Myth 7: Parkinson’s is deadly
Fact: Parkinson’s doesn’t trigger fatality immediately, not like a coronary heart assault or a stroke. The life-span relies upon upon the type and high quality of care administered. But, you will need to watch out as a result of because the illness progresses, one could also be susceptible to falls that may be harmful.
Myth 8: Parkinson’s can not happen in members of the family
Fact: This is just not appropriate. About 10 to 15 per cent of sufferers do have household historical past of PD.
Myth 9: Parkinson’s will be cured by Stem Cell Therapy
Fact: This is just not appropriate. Currently there isn’t any scientific proof that PD will be handled or cured by any sort of stem cell remedy. This remains to be in an experimental stage.
If you’re on the lookout for methods through which PD will be managed, then Dr Singh advises that you simply do the next:
* Diet: Consume a well-balanced food plan consisting of fibre and fluids, to scale back constipation. Also take enough consumption of salt to regulate low blood stress.
* Physiotherapy to offer aid from muscle stiffness and joint ache by way of motion and train.
* Occupational remedy to establish difficulties in each day chores similar to dressing up, or strolling to the close by retailer, and applicable coaching to handle these higher.
* Speech and swallowing remedy for addressing speech issues and swallowing difficulties and correcting them.
* Medications to scale back all of the signs of PD.
* Surgery (deep mind stimulation) to enhance high quality of life in sufferers with superior Parkinson’s illness who’ve develop into immune to medical remedy, or who’ve extreme side-effects of drug remedy.
* Follow up with a physician: As it’s a progressive dysfunction, it wants common following up with a motion dysfunction neurologist, who would fine-tune the drugs relying on the situation of the affected person on follow-up analysis. This is essentially the most important a part of managing the illness.
© IE Online Media Services Pvt Ltd